Mobile Class Education System
Mobile Class is an educational service available on MTN Uganda network which enable students to request primary revision questions using their parents/guardians phone. The content covers primary school subjects on the syllabus – English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Literacy I and Literacy II which are aligned to the Ugandan curriculum. The Mobile Class Website can be found on http://www.mobileclassonline.com/
NB Currently the service is only available for primary children. There is a plan to roll out the service to Secondary level (O & A level)
The service is accessed through a mobile phone, any kind whether it is a smart phone, java phone or the simple low end phone. It runs on USSD (*189#) and SMS (short code 189) MOs are free of charge.
To access Mobile class products, a user must subscribe to a daily package (200/=) or weekly package (1,000/=) or monthly package (2,000/=). The subscription package is automatically renewed on the next date depending on the package. A user can choose to unsubscribe from the service and can re-subscribe again.
2.0 Why Mobile Class
With the introduction of Free Universal primary school education (UPE) and also Free Universal secondary school Education (USE) many children now have access to education.
As per Uganda’s Ministry of Education & Sports- 2016 | Uganda UPR factsheet, overall, primary school enrolment stood at 8.5 million pupils in 2014, which is a 93.7% net enrolment rate (UNICEF, 2015).
Whereas there is a better enrolment of pupils, the teacher- student ratio is still higher especially in the government schools; Pupil-teacher ratios remain high; the government reports that there are 53 students per teacher in government primary schools, on average (MoESTS, 2015).
With the above statistics, there is need to create other platforms that can enable children learning outside the traditional classroom. Mobile Class was introduced to provide a solution for pupils to actively engage in affordable, interactive study content and a solution for parents to monitor student’s progress outside classroom by checking their performance.
3.0 Mobile Class Products
The main products of mobile class include:
- Study and revision – Primary school quizzes with explanations on every answer to ensure that pupils understand why they got the correct or wrong answer. Student’s performance data reports.
- English Dictionary -Search English words and their related meanings.
- PLE Performance – Access school ranking/school position countrywide based on PLE results.
- Kiswahili Learning- Learn Kiswahili by getting translations of English words to Kiswahili and vice versa.
- Names Meaning- Access the meaning and origin of a name.
- Career Guidance-Access university student career guidance information in relation to the A-Level Combinations
- Amazing Facts-Access Amazing facts around the world that you didn’t know and get to know and understand right from your Mobile Phone.
4.0 How to Subscribe
A user has to Dial *189# on MTN Mobile Network. To access Mobile class products, a user must subscribe to a daily package (200/=) or weekly package (1,000/=) or monthly package (2,000/=). The subscription package is automatically renewed on the next date depending on the package. A user can choose to unsubscribe from the service and can re-subscribe again.
For Smartphone Users you can access Mobile Class Android App by following the below link: